Frequently Asked Building Questions

It always pays to get your builder involved early. Simple advice from a Master Builder when making critical decisions like choosing a section, architectural style, plans and building materials can save a lot of hassle later on. However if you already have plans then a builder can work from that point on too.

Only a Master Builder can provide you comfort in the knowledge that your builder is trade qualified, peer reviewed, and can offer the protection of consumer friendly building contracts. With a Master Builder, you will also have access to a 10 year Registered Master Builders Guarantee.

If you undertake structural work or work that affects the weathertightness of a building, and the building is residential, then that work may be classified as Restricted Building Work. Restricted Building Work can only be done and/or supervised by a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP). So for new homes, yes you definitely need a LBP.

For new homes, yes, you need a building consent.

Here are some examples of work that requires consent:

  • Any structural building including new buildings, additions, alterations, accessory buildings (sheds), and re-piling
  • plumbing and drainage
  • heating (fireplaces), ventilation and air conditioning systems
  • siteworks for a building
  • retaining walls higher than 1.5 metres, or retaining walls with a building or driveway near the top
  • fences higher than 2.5 metres and any swimming pool fence
  • swimming pools
  • decks more than 1.5 metres from ground level

If in doubt we recommend you ring your local council and discuss your project with them, or we can look into it for you.